Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dreams

Something about the winter time, it seems I've had many talks with people who are disheartened and don't know if they should continue pursuing their dreams. To them and anyone else who may need it, I dedicate these two poems by one of my favorite poets - Langston Hughes. I think it is fitting to read them together. 

Copyright by Garry available via Creative Commons License

Dream Deferred
 by Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?

Dreams
by Langston Hughes

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow. 

As long as you can dream, the dream has a chance to come true.

5 comments:

Kimbra Kasch said...

Love poetry :)

T.D. McFrost said...

Thanks for this Ellen, it really made my day. :D

Charles Gramlich said...

I've been a fan of Langston Hughes for a long time myself. Good words.

Joy Wizziwa said...

Perfect Ellen...and you are such a strong example to fighting the good fight for any and all dreams. ;)

Tatum Flynn said...

Ah, I like those. Reminded me of Elvis's If I Can Dream (yes am lowbrow :)

Search This Blog